October 1st, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM EDT
S. Dillon Ripley Center Concourse, Washington DC
Pre-conference demonstrations and exhibits - No tickets required
NOTE: This is the ONLY day you will be able to see the exhibits/ demonstrations
October 2nd and 3rd, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EDT
Freer | Sackler Galleries, Meyer Auditorium, Washington, DC
Keynote addresses and panel discussions - Seats are limited, tickets required for each day - No Live Webcast
The Smithsonian’s new five-year strategic plan “Smithsonian 2022: Greater Reach, Greater Relevance, Profound Impact” sets an ambitious goal of reaching one billion people a year with a digital first strategy. It calls for the creation of new digital platforms for scholars, educators, and the general public to better access Smithsonian collections, research, and education resources - the increase and diffusion of knowledge in the 21st century. At the 2019 Digitization Conference we will explore what meaningful engagement with those one billion people might look like. We’ll be exploring:
• What constitutes meaningful engagement?
• How can we become better at enabling it?
• What areas offer the most opportunities for engagement? The best opportunities?
• How do we measure engagement?
• What outcomes do we want? What outcomes do our audiences want?
These are the key questions we will explore in the 2019 Digitization Conference. Sponsored by the Smithsonian’s Digitization Program Office, this three-day event will explore how we can use digitized collections to:
• Spur creativity, innovation, and positive change in some area of human endeavor;
• Explore ways cultural institutions can maximize engagement with their digitized collections; and
• Investigate ways museums, archives and libraries can measure, improve and expand engagement that takes place around their digitized collections.
A pre-conference day of demonstrations and exhibits of digitization efforts at the Smithsonian will be held on October 1st only. The conference itself will take place on October 2nd-3rd, and will feature panels and keynote addresses by experts outside from across the world.
We will post the program and conference updates at the DPO web site as they occur, so check back often.